Wednesday 13 April 2016

Bright Lights (thoughts on Philippians 2:14-15)


We are doing a study on Philippians at our church right now, and I've been very convicted by this verse, especially when it comes to parenting.

Last night, when my youngest woke up for about the 4th or 5th time, I caught myself grumbling away! And I have good reason! I had just had a full day out with my two toddlers, I'm pregnant with our third, utterly exhausted, and to top it off I have a cold! A lot of good reasons to complain, right? Well, I'm sure we all have our lists of legitimate complaints!

Yet, God is asking more from His followers! He is asking us to do EVERYTHING without complaining. Philippians 2:14-15 says, "[14] Do everything without complaining and arguing, [15] so that no one can criticize you. Live clean, innocent lives as children of God, shining like bright lights in a world full of crooked and perverse people." How can I be a bright light for Jesus in this world if I am complaining all the time? 

So last night, as I caught myself grumbling my way to my daughter's room to nurse her back to sleep yet again, this verse popped into my head. So instead, I said a little prayer. I prayed that God would change my mindset to one that is instead THANKFUL for this little life that He has entrusted me with. THANKFUL that I can be here in the night to comfort my daughter, just like God is always there for me, with everlasting, unchanging, unconditional love.

No comments:

Post a Comment